Friday, October 17, 2014

DENMARK!!!!

     We arrived safely in England and spent most of the day getting everything sorted. The next day we scurried about getting me some new boots before I got on the trainnto Gatwick Airport. I flew first to Oslo where I had the most American dinner that I have had all trip. I had buffalo wings and beer in an American sports bar watching it snow outside. I had flash backs to many meals in Helena and Spokane. After dinner I got on a flight to Billund.
   My friend Ninna met me in Billund. Then we drove about 40 minutes to Esbjerg (said es-pi-a). I got in super late so we went to bed. Today Ninna had to go to school so I got to sleep in. Her boyfriend was super nice and made me some breakfast. When Ninna got home we wandered around the town a bit. They have streets where cars aren't allowed. It was super cool. After some window shopping we went to the grocery store to get Danish cakes for after lunch. For lunch I tried Danish bread with various toppings. The bread is really dense and full of seeds. Not anything like American or NZ bread. I had one bit with peanut butter, one with an autum salami (yum!), one with roast beef and remoclade (pickle, egg yolk, mustard spread) and one with a ham pattee. I was plesantly suprised. I was initially very skeptical of the remockade and pattee but both were super tastey. Dessert was even better. We got four types of cakes and slpit them up so I could try lots of things. We got a nut one that had chocolate on it, a napolen's hat (my favorite), a romkogle and the Danish pastery spandauger. They were soooo good. I love that they have national pasteries and cakes here. I'm not sure America has a single national dessert that everyone would know is the national dessert.
    After our amazing lunch we did some more window shopping. I want to deccorate my house from their shops. They have the coolest furnitue and home ware here. It is very nature inspired; lots of wood and animals.
    Now Ninna is making me Danish meatballs for dinner. More food updates to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment